Download a PDF here.
David J. Hersher
Operations and Project Executive
Project Management · Operational Efficiency · Process Improvement
Executive leader of people, process, and projects for the financial services industry. Experienced managing M&A integration efforts with both acquiring and acquired organizations. History of launching new departments and businesses. Navigate organizations from closely-held startup to Fortune 600 corporation.
|Project Management||Operations Management||Continuous Improvement|
|Portfolio Management||Integration Management||Team Building and Leadership|
|Program Management||Multi-Site Management||P&L Accountability|
CrossCountry Mortgage, Inc. - Brecksville, Ohio, 2017 - Present
SENIOR PROJECT MANAGER
Establish a controlling Project Management Office (PMO) to manage projects across the enterprise:
- Build a controlling PMO to manage cross-functional, executive projects
- Hire and develop a team of Project Managers and a Technical Writer
- Create an effective and repeatable project management framework, including terminology, methodology, performance metrics, and standard tools
- Lead transition from functional to balanced-matrix organizational structure to improve project execution
- Provide support and best practices to project leaders within the lines of business
- Actively manage the company portfolio of programs and projects
THE HUNTINGTON NATIONAL BANK (FirstMerit Bank, NA) - Akron, Ohio, 2008-2017
VICE PRESIDENT & MANAGER, Mortgage Investor Reporting, Special Loans, and New Loan Setup, 2/2017 - Present
Lead the managers, and their direct reports, of the following departments working in the Black Knight Financial Services MSP servicing system:
- Mortgage Investor Reporting (FNMA, FHLMC, GNMA, and others)
- Mortgage Special Loans (ARMs, gas & oil, partial releases, etc.)
- Mortgage New Loan Setup (Tracking for hazard, flood, and private mortgage insurance)
SR. OPERATIONS MANAGER, 1/2013 - 2/2017
- Customer Service and Booking Manager, 9/2015- 2/2017
Managed the booking and servicing functions across multiple sites of all loans serviced by the bank including: indirect, consumer direct, bankcard, equipment finance and leasing, small business, commercial, dealer floor plan, asset based lending, syndications, capital markets, and sponsor finance
- Specialized Loan Servicing Manager, 8/2014 - 9/2015
- Managed servicing of multi-billion dollar portfolio of ABL, capital markets, syndicated, and sponsor finance loans on the FIS - Advanced Commercial Banking System (ACBS)
- Loan Operations team lead for the bank's document imaging and workflow automation project
- One of 30 employees chosen bank-wide for inaugural advanced leadership, strategy, and executive mentorship program for 2015-16
- Consumer Loan Servicing Manager, 2/2014 - 8/2014
- End to end management of the consumer loan servicing lifecycle including lien placement and tracking, booking, accounting and payment processing, customer service, vault administration, and paid loan processing.
- Led team of 35+ FTE across multiple locations
- CRBC Integration Operations Manager, 1/2013 - 2/2014
- Led integration of Citizens Republic Bancorp for all loan servicing operations
- Integration grew bank assets from $14B to $24B and total loans from $9B to $14B.
ESCROW ADMINISTRATION TEAM LEADER, 2011-2013
- Drove automation in order to control costs; instrumental in creating a spreadsheet that automated a manually-intensive segment of the escrow analysis process.
- Managed increase in number and percentage of escrowed loans without adding FTE.
PERSONAL BANKER, 2008-2011
- Developed district-wide profiling format that served as work-around for existing system limitations; efforts optimized daily operations
- Created numerous sales performance tracking workbooks, which aided in tracking key operational metrics
RECOVERY MANAGEMENT SYSTEMS (Atlantic Financial Services) - Massillon, Ohio
Operations Manager, 1998 to 2008
Directed all facets of daily operations, including relationship management, budget administration, cost controls, and P&L accountability for sub-prime indirect auto finance company and 3rd party collection agency.
Supported collection and bankruptcy departments at Atlantic Financial Services. Developed and implemented standard policies and procedures for new business unit, ensuring optimal operations. Established and cultivated collaborative relationships with clients; managed vendor contracts. Formulated all operational reporting and controls. Delivered presentations on various topics, including recovery strategies, credit practices, and collection issues.
OPERATIONS MANAGER, 2005 - 2008
- Perfected delivery of agency model, transitioning operations from internal department with Atlantic Financial Services to the market as a separate business entity.
- Recognized as an industry expert, delivering a presentation “Collecting Deficiency Balances” during Leedom & Associates Buy Here, Pay Here Collections Boot Camp event (‘06).
- Re-engineered workflows, standardized processes, and fostered close relationships with both in-house counsel and external attorneys to cut legal fees by 66%.
- Led business to consistent YOY growth in recoveries and placements.
RECOVERY MANAGER, 2002 - 2005
- Built internal recovery department for Atlantic Financial Services from scratch.
- Led team to triple recoveries within first two years.
- Internal department spun off to separate business unit, Recovery Management Systems, in 2005.
CREDIT MANAGER, 2000 - 2002
- Developed standard credit approval worksheet, simplifying process for dealer customers and increasing department throughput and speed to approval and funding.
COLLECTOR / TEAM LEADER, 1998 - 2000
- Promoted to Team Leader then Credit Manager
Education and Certifications
Master of Business Administration (MBA); Concentration in Finance
ASHLAND UNIVERSITY — Ashland, Ohio
Honors: Delta Mu Delta Business Honor Society
Bachelor of Arts in Organizational Management
MALONE UNIVERSITY — Canton, Ohio
Project Management Professional (PMP)
PROJECT MANAGEMENT INSTITUTE
Awards and Recognition
2013 ystark! Twenty Under 40! award for career acumen, community service and trusteeship and personal and professional achievements.
ACA International Certified Collection Professional
Mapother Bankruptcy School: Consumer Bankruptcy, Bankruptcy Abuse & Protection Act
MS Office, MS Project and Visio, Smartsheet, FIS Advanced Commercial Banking System (ACBS) FIS Advanced Loan System (ALS), Fiserv LoanServ, Debtmaster Collection Software, Auto Dialer/Call Broadcasting, SQL Queries
Member, Board of Trustees for the Massillon Public Library (2017 - Present)
Board Member and Treasurer, Aunt Susie's Cancer Wellness Center for Women (2015-Present)
Leadership Stark County Government Leadership Academy, Current Chair/Member (2008-2014)
Treasurer, Massillon Washington Choir Boosters, Inc. (2012-2017)
Massillon City Council, At-Large Member / Council Finance Committee Member (2008-2011)
Member, Massillon Planning Commission (2007)